Process

My idea for this project was to create a 360 animated stereoscopic music video. For this I needed a way to create spherical illustrations that could be edited in After Effects, Photoshop, Premiere Pro and Illustrator. Then injected with metadata to be stitched in to a 360 video on YouTube.

I chose to experiment with an illustrated art style, as most Virtual Realty generally focuses on realism, rather then an artistic nature.

I found this article containing a helpful guide and plugin for Photoshop that allows me to create, illustrations that with will be the right proportions so they do not warp when the are wrapped in to a spherical space.

http://studiobehind90.com/2016/12/25/how-to-create-360-panorama-painting-in-photoshop/

By applying this process frame by frame in can created a stop-motion style animation that is 360. This involves me drawing each frame of the animation in illustrator on a horizontal cross grid, then converting it using the Flexify plugin in Photoshop to equirectangular. I then take the frames and import them in to Premiere as an image sequence. By leave some parts of the image green I can ultra key then out, allowing for animation frames to be overlapped. I then export the video, inject metadata using the metadata tool. the video is ready to be uploaded to YouTube.

I found a lot of articles referring to a correlation between sound and visual stimuli. Some stated that sound can change the way we perceive the things we see and vice versa. I thought this fit in well with the idea of using Virtual reality to change perception and looked more in to the theme of altering perception. This lead me to looking in to imagery related to altered perception. I found that psychedelic imagery had draw back to themes in altered perception due to the art style being based on the psychedelic movement of the 60’s largely influenced by the mind altering effects of drugs such as LSD. From this point I began looking at a lot of Psychedelic art.

I then began to make some stop motion animations on Illustrator. I would draw out and export each of the frame individually. These animations could be be imported in to Premiere Pro as image sequences. I made the background green or blue so that it could be easily keyed out.

The editing was made up of a lot of small clips and became a very large sequence. It took a long time to export and had very laggy playback in premiere. The quality in YouTube was not as good as I would have liked, but I found a way to play the raw files that are at a much larger quality. Some of my animations were a bit choppy, they got better towards the they got better.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

 

Advertisements